Eastpoint Georgia History
In 2014, we celebrated the 100th anniversary of East Point, Georgia's oldest and largest public school system. Originally a public high school, East Point was originally a private school and became part of the Atlanta Public Schools system in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The city served as an important commercial centre, and the Confederate Army decided to build a fortress in the northern part of the city. Union Gen. William T. Sherman sent his troops to Schofield Barracks to break through the Confederate defenses and protect supplies that depend on East Point. This route led from the east to Augusta and from there to the border between Georgia and South Carolina.
The primary crescent went to Birmingham and New Orleans, the secondary crescent to Atlanta, New York City, Washington D.C. and Philadelphia. East Point was founded in 1847 and incorporated under the 1847 Act, but the name was changed accordingly to Atlanta and West Point Railroad. In 1854 it was abolished and refounded as a town with its own town hall and public library.
Under its charter of 1887, the reference point was used to define the boundaries of the city, starting with a point. The name East Point comes from the fact that the terminus of the Atlanta and West Point Railroad was located to the east, but the AWP and the Western Railway of Alabama had their own route from Atlanta to New Orleans and were both operated as one railway. Since Georgia Railroad had control of both lines, both were marketed as the "West Point Route," a name that would define the two systems for the rest of their days. West point in Georgia is where the railway line ends at a terminus in the west and east point where it ends in the south.
Today, it is in the renovated Morgan House, donated to the city by Earl Edmondson, a 57-year-old University of Georgia graduate, who has moved from his original East Point Road location. In 1870, the Atlanta and West Point Railroad (AWP) and the Western Railway of Alabama reached Selma, and five years later they were jointly owned by Georgia Railroad and CoG. In 1871, a branch office was opened in Newnan to Columbus, and the line was eventually bought by Central Georgia until 1882.
Here the victims of the unions were buried until 1866, when the office of the US Quartermaster in Atlanta moved them to the National Cemetery in Marietta, Georgia. The cemetery contains headstones with inscriptions from 1816 to 2010 and is associated with the Civil War in what is now Fulton County Georgia and the Battle of Atlanta in 1864.
The West Point depot had two railroad lines running from Montgomery to Atlanta, the Georgia Railway and the Atlanta and Montgomery Railway. A multi-purpose trail is located on the site of the former railway depot, which is now a park and leisure area.
No city boundaries are visible to the naked eye, but Atlanta borders to the north, east, and west. Of course, this is because East Point is practically South Atlanta, so the closest you live in East Point, GA. Georgia's small towns outside Atlanta (including Douglasville, Conyers, Jackson, Winston and Fayetteville) are located in the Midwest. Jackson's intact downtown is not far from the 1983 Hawkins movie.
I cannot take credit for that, but the data collected by the US Census are at the East Point Historical Society in the city of Atlanta, Georgia, south of the Atlanta Beltline. The comprehensive collection of the historical society includes bound volumes with reporters from the "Atlanta Suburban" period from 1931 to 1970 as well as a collection of newspaper clippings from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. In addition to its extensive collections of newspapers, magazines, books and other publications, the East Point History Society also offers a wide range of educational programs for students, faculty, staff and the public.
Utoy Church has been used for funerals since about 1828 and is located south of the Atlanta Beltline and north of East Point Road. The hallmark of "South" is that it is very large and covers the entire city of Atlanta as well as parts of Fulton County and Cobb County, Georgia.
The city recovered when people and railroads moved back to Atlanta in the postwar years, and it quickly became Georgia's largest in the decades that followed. Suburban growth soared, leading to larger neighboring cities like Atlanta, Cobb County, Fulton County, and the city of Atlanta itself. The gateway to Atlanta was Colonial Hills, which went from a single-family housing development to a 400-resident community. With the arrival of Nobel Peace Prize winner Martin Luther King Jr., in 1963, Atlanta became a model for how cities in the South could successfully separate government from public institutions.
A - WP began in 1847 as Atlanta and LaGrange Rail Road, which was to connect West Point, 80 miles west, with its actual terminus in the east, which was a small community known as East Point. In 1857, the company was renamed the Georgia Railroad Company of Atlanta, Georgia (now Atlanta Railway Company). All three were controlled by the same owner, William E. La Grange Jr., and his son-in-law, John La Grange. In 1849-50, construction of the first section of the new Atlanta-Lagrange railway began, and construction was completed in May 1854.